Wednesday, September 21, 2005

an LMS use case

I met with a vendor to hear about his company’s learning management system (LMS). I need a product that provides a way for me to organize and deliver e-learning modules. The system also has to have a collaborative learning space, communication features, and functions for tracking and reporting learner progress - enrollment, course participation, test scores, and completion. I may even want to design and insert surveys, polls and evaluation forms.

I was prepared with a Use Case – I described my needs and wants, as well as the requirements for the other LMS users – learners, administrators, project sponsor, and course facilitators. I described my role as Instructional Designer and Project Manager and my intention to create multimedia html files with Dreamweaver and Flash.

The vendor pushed the content creation feature of his software, citing the benefits of SCORM conformity. Macromedia is my development software of choice for now. I don’t want to create my content in proprietary software.

After reading through the advice on the E-learning
Discussion Board at ASTD, I’m going to put together a Design Toolbox with the right tools for my chosen solution (budget considerations notwithstanding). More research...

I’ve scheduled a demo of the LMS next week. When I asked how long the demo would take, the reply was “42 minutes." Good answer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home